Saturday 9 April 2022

PLANNING: Noelle inspired active bra top

 I was browsing active wear the other day and came accross this rather expensive bra top from Mountain Warehouse. What struck me is the extreme similarity to the Noelle Bra. 

  

I made loads of the Noelle a while back now and love these tops but they are all a little too loose to work right.

 

Differences:

1) Bra straps replaced by sewn on straps with bound edges. I did this with the Rebecca Page strappy cami so know I could achieve this look relatively easily and no hassle bra straps to have getting twisted every time I wear the thing - like the Noelle.

2) No Darts. Its easy enough to eliminate darts after all. 

Since all my Noelles came out a bit too big I think I should make some better fitting ones anyway and eliminating the darts may well help with that. Also I have always queried why they need a dart in the front at all - well 2 darts actually?

 

Maybe for the larger sizes this is a very good idea but I personally cannot see the point of the extra step of sewing darts in the smaller sizes. I did sew them as you can see but the stretch fabric when its stretchy enough that is, should not need darts. But I followed the pattern and have been very happy with it. Other than the fact all my versions are a little too loose. I read thats actually a common problem so maybe I should just go down a size.

3) Mesh triangle panel - well this would be easy enough to add from my various mesh offcuts I have lying around so yes thats doable too.

4) A wide elastic border rather than the double fabric panels on the Noelle. Or it could be elastic inside a covered band? I actually quite like this bit of the Noelle so will haveto experiment and decide.

All very easy alterations though so why not make some of these from my offcuts of lycra fabric? Made to match leggings as well this should be a great summer bra I think. Well and Winter, Autumn, Spring bra. And in the right fabric of course its a proper exercise top which would be nice if it actually works. I really have had very little success with exercise tops previously though - you can read about my disasters here if you want to know more.

 Anyway, this is just an idea now. But I was so inspired with this little top I just had to share my idea. It will also go well with my current ballet and faerie inspired clothing that I decided to make back in January. Well exercises tops specifically are not on the list but they would fit and I do need undies as well as outerwear and this basic top with no underwires etc would look good under my most recent fae inspired makes.

Feel free to try it yourself if you have time and fabric available, and please do let me know how they turn out if you do. I am off to empty my stashed offcuts box for a few choice bits for this. In the meantime I have several other items already cut out that I really must get on with sewing up.

Have a great weekend

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment