Friday 6 May 2022

Blue dresses in Negative 1

These are my summer "play clothes". I have made two of these dresses but have yet to post about the other one which is the negative (or opposite) fabricwise to this one. 

Based on the Peppermint patterns dress I made back in the winter. It was very windy when the photos were taken but the dress is great even in wind.

 

I made a glittery sweatshirt dress ( also in lightweight french terry ) from the same pattern which has the same alteration to the original in that I added a hood. This time I made the neck slightly wider and the hood has a wider channel/ hem so that it fits better and is less of a cowl neck unlike both my purple velvet version and my grey glitter version. 


But they were winter dresses and these are for spring into summer. 

I accidentally messed up the green and black velvet dress making the neck wider and I liked it so much better so this time I have done that deliberately to get the same slightly wider neckline for these sweatshirt dresses. 


Like the velvet versions I left out the pockets because although I do like pockets they do not work well in the grey glittery version and keep popping forward or out and not staying where they should do unless I have my hands in them. Pockets should not need you to have your hands inside in order to stay hidden in the seams of the garment!

The Peppermint pattern seems really ingenious to cut the pockets as a main part of the dress but from experience, for me at least, it does not work for living in. It also takes loads of extra fabric to cut the pockets as part of the dress instead of adding them as seperate pieces like most patterns. Anyway I left them off. I am so far happy with the decision despite meaning I have no pockets. 

 

Its bumbag season anyway! And using a bumbag will mean I do not have to worry I have everything because I will end up having my lippy, my phone and keys all constantly there and if we go away probably also my toothbrush.

I bought the fabric which is a lightweight cotton french terry last autumn. Its got lycra in it which is a bonus and should keep these two dresses in shape. I think probably originally I thought I would make flares or a sweatshirt from these fabrics but I just think it would have been too OTT to have been worn. Well unless for a festival but I want to wear these a lot. At £8 a metre for me this is very expensive fabric! I must wear this.

Also I made this tie dyed velvet ( beach) dress last uear and only ever wore it to the beach - hence its now designated as a beach/ festival dress. I do not really want something else thats unwearable for every day.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgIDpOh-fYqi-B6qjpJ5NWxbQ-zUOBz2D5xtTapZimkxMgtnEXM-sjaKKwmhxppqa0sEVVGRSBfFOa7BE2zR3e9lUBpJiXVC4jVnMHoALEEzz0ITg7cdiusmZafqol6xqxtbVnDYPPqBRlf/s2048/20210418_094046.jpg

So when I cut these I decided to swap the sleeve fabric and hoods fabric but not the mitts - so the sleeve is a continuation with matching mitts rather than over chopped into blocks of pattern with contrast mitts. The end result is very 90s but never mind. I enjoyed the 90s immensly. Possibly that was the best period of my youth so I do not mind reliving certain looks second time around. 

And I have worn both of these dresses now and I really love them. It was risky swapping the parts around and making this colour blocked look but I am very happy with how its worked. I will be taking them away if I can manage to afford a holiday this year. Its all down to the cost of fuel now because I would love to go to Scotland again. If it carries on rising then I will be wearing these in my garden. Still never mind. It will still mean time off work or so I hope anyway. 

Have a great day and thanks for visiting my blog,

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment