Wednesday 12 September 2018

Blue Velvet Skirt for Winter

A few days ago I found this blog post and decided to finally get round to making this:


I originally started to write this as "New skirts for Winter" in Autumn 2017. Since then it has sat in my drafts waiting for me to get round to it.

I have been intending to make the Viale skirt for several years now. In fact I think it is one of the original patterns I downloaded and never used right at the start of my adventure into sewing. I actually origianlly found this on The Monthly Stitch.

So I cut out this blue velvet skirt out a whole year ago now. The fabric was an offcut from the IKEA bargain section I bought years ago before I had a stash.
I had a few problems with the yoke. My waist is bigger but my stomach flatter than the pattern allows for so I chopped a good few inches off the yoke, because it was giving a
 sort of cone shape over my stomach, to get the look I wanted. 

I added skull fabric ( left over from my top) for the pocket fronts and used velvet for the backs:


Its also shorter than the original pattern which reached below my knees.

Regardless of these adjustments its a very nice free A line Indie skirt pattern and I absolutely love my big pockets which many skirts of this shape lack.

I am starting to consider adding pockets to everything I make now.

I finished the waist edge with petersham ribbon salvedged from a pair fo RTW PJs - well they were tied in it as a packaging but its perfectly OK petersham ribbon so why chuck it out?

I did not use an invisible zip since am trying to reduce my stash so just used one from the said stash to make it a bit smaller.


Its a another UFO fiished off and so far I am starting to feel like I am really achieving something with clearing some of these UFOs many of which have sat unfinished or even unstarted for ages.

The last one was my dressing gown started in 2016 and now this skirt from 2017. Its as good a way as any really to reduce my stash because these UFOs go straight back into it when I do not finish them and they often take up more room than a piece of fabric would.






Thanks for visiting my blog and by the way what do you think of my new hair colour? 

Its a drastic change but I just felt a bit faded and that I needed a new look for winter 2018.

Thanks for visiting and see you soon
Bracken









No comments:

Post a Comment