Thursday 20 September 2018

Two tops for my winter capsule collection




So here is my first top in Dark purple top and a second top which was not on my original capsule wardrobe list of things to make ( yes I have already deviated from my colour choices tho the crepe fabric is still the same !) made in bright red.
The purple top is the Lydia pattern from Burda Style and made in cheapo crepe polyester. I have put the textured side of the fabric on the inside which gives it a much more young and modern look. Personally my conclusion is this ceap polyester crepe is fine fabric to have a play with and learn on but if I make anything else from it it will be using the back of the fabric so the non-textured side. I blogged a while back aboiut my huge numbers of disasters usig this stuff with the texture on the outside. It belongs in a fumpy granny wardrobe not in mine. I may be old but I do not yet want to look how this stuff makes me look if you know what I mean. It reminds me of the 1970s crimplene dresses worn by my own Grandma when I was growing up. Vile! You can read that post here: http://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2018/08/sewing-inspiration.html

I made this top tho from this stuff: 
http://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2016/09/63-lace-trimmed-top-from-burda-082016.html
I recycled the original top a while back because the synthetic white fabric had gone a kind of grey colour.  I truly did love this top despite using the crepe side of the fabric for the back and sleeves so wanted to make another one and ths time decided I would use a raglan pattern instead to create something similar. Possibly that was my mistake.

To be honest I do not like my new version anywhere near as much as the original but I have yet to wear it. The lace was not so wide and I do not think I have made such a good job at this version. Still it may grow on me. Its hard to know really until I have worn the thing. The placig of the lace is out really. I may have to try making a second one.



Also looking at the photo it looks like one sleeve is longer than the other. It is not, honest. I have yet to get photos taken of me wearing these so will update this later.






I also decided, on a whim, to make a very quick dirndle skirt - well it is September! I am not going to make a full dirndle just yet tho it has been on my "to-do" list for ages. I have my eye on several nice and wearable dirndle patterns tho the one really calling me is this one from the German Burda site 120, 07/2010:
Chiffonkleid - knielang 07/2010 #120 - Techn. Zeichnung

Anyway I need to finish my capsule wardrobe before I start to even consider making a dirndle dress. The skirt I made is just a gathered waist skirt with elastic waistband made from a scrap of fabric left over from my skull top I made in the spring.
http://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2018/05/new-fashion-top-from-costume-pattern.html

It was very quick to make and has a rolled edge hem so except for attaching of the elastic its all made on the overlocker.



Should be a good skirt for brightening my Autumn "play" wardrobe tho because this is definitely NOT part of my working capsule wardrobe.

 I am working my way through a pile of cut out clothing now so will see you soon with a few more capsule wardrobe items. Thanks for popping by:

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment