Wednesday 19 September 2018

Winter Capsule Wardrobe


The last few weeks I have been very inspired by other bloggers capsule collections. It is not new idea but it does mean if you make a capsule wardrobe then it becomes easy to get dressed in the morning and for the sole intention of making my working life run more smoothly and not having to think too much first thing before I leave for work I am making a capsule wardrobe.

Normally I randomly make tops and bottoms that often do not go well together at all. This winter I need a new wardrobe to go with my new hair colour. So today this is my first post about starting to make a Winter Capsule Wardrobe.

I also decided a week or so ago that one way to clear some of my rather anoyingly large stash of fabric was to choose several pieces of similar fabric and make a new winter clothing collection which in effect is the same as making a capsule wardrobe. Its something I have been considering for a while now - the capsule wardrobe that is. Not that I intend to stick with just these items but they should help meto be more orgainsed in a morning and cut down on wasting time trying to decide what to wear and what I can actually get away with wearing to work, when I am getting dressed before I go to work.

I decided to go with black, purple and dark red cheapo crepe polyester because I have loads of it and need to clear some out. Its also very wintery colours that kind of compliment each other and that will go OK with my new dark red hair. I have a very nice faux leather bike jacket as well which I want to wear with these new clothes and a pair of boots so I want to make it all work together.
https://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2017/04/98-and-99-sports-top-and-flared.html In fact I would recommend them should you want a pair of extravagent but lovely boots. They had a sale on recently and I have pre-ordered another pair this time clockwork fairy ankle boots. Also importantly, they do vegan boots which is brilliant tho most of the boots on the site are actually leather.

Anyway back to my Capsule Warwdrobe project.

<a href=I have this cheapo crepe polyester. Its vile if I use the right side as I have discovered with numerous other projects. However, when using the reverse its great and looks far less old ladyish. I made my orange jacket using the reverse. It looks more like proper bodycon fabric on the reverse but has no lycra so be warned if you do similar.

My reasoning tho is I already own this stuff so why not make a nice warm ( its warm this fabric) and comfortable collection of winter work clothing for a capsule winter wardrobe.  If it goes out of shape does not matter because I only want to wear my work clothing for a limited amount of time. I tend to feel I should have a new collection every season anyway since its "expected" where I work.  So I am not after making pieces that will last forever but more your every day work wear. Easy to wash, easy to wear but still reasonably smart and colourful but also I want it to fit my "authentic" me into the look. Not that I intend to stay red haired. Thats is just for winter but who knows. To be honest here I am already regretting my new colour. I should have used Directions or Manic Panictemporary colours instead. Still I never learn!

Then ideally I also need patterns that will fit and work first time so best to make things I have made before then I know what adjustments I am going to need and how to construct these items as fast as I am able to.

So I have cut out a purple dress same as this one:
http://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2016/11/71the-november-monthly-stitch-challenge.html
http://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2016/11/71the-november-monthly-stitch-challenge.html

I have cut a purple top but all one colour from the Burda style Lydia pattern. I made a blue one that was rubbish of these in this fabric before but stupidly kept part of it in the crinkle side of the fabric. I hated it so hope this will turn out wearable being made in the reverse of the fabric. I think it will be OK.

I have also cut out view B in red from McCalls M7261 sportswear pattern but I reckon in one colour this will work as a "work top"



And my skirt for this to work is made from black and red and purple with zips. Its the same pattern as my frill skirt here:
https://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2017/07/lilac-gingham-skirt.htmlhttps://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2017/07/lilac-gingham-skirt.html


This skirt has a different view which has an open ended zip instead of the frill. 

But for this I am trying to be a bit clever. I have cut the front out twice so no backs and added two open ended zips. Then I have added the lining giving me a reversible skirt. I suspect the fabric may pill a bit tho so no idea how long this will last. The lining is the same fabric as the outer but in different colours and will hopefully act to stabilise this fabric a bit since its not as stable as a normal bodycon fabric is and as already explained has no lycra in it. I have also cut a size smaller since the original skirt was too big.
http://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2015/11/5-burdastyle-dress-lace-cowl-dress.htmlI also want to make a black dress from some lovely fabric I picked up which to be honest I think originates in 90s because its a kind of crinkle bodycon fabric I last saw for sale around 99-ish. For my black dress I intend to use the A-symetric cowl dress I made previously here:  
I absolutley love this but it would be so much more wearable in plain black.
So having cut out several items I will now start to sew them up.
 See you soon with the results.

Bracken


No comments:

Post a Comment