Thursday 12 November 2020

Mesh tiger top




I bought some ebay fabric a couple of weeks ago and with it came a flier for a pound a meter fabric shop so I googled and in fact there are 3 such shops in the UK - or I found 3 anyway. Of course I then had to place an order with each shop just to gauge what the fabric and service is like and happy to say I will be returning to all 3 shops.

Here they are:

https://poundfabrics.co.uk 

https://www.poundametre.com/

https://efabrics.co.uk

The first shop, pound fabrics.co.uk,  will it seems force you to buy 3m at a time but even then its a good deal. I did buy several 3 metre lengths from here of fabrics that were more than £1 a metre but they were still very cheap and good quality when they arrived. Downside with this shop: Its expensive to get delivered. I paid £4.99 after removing half of what I had intended to buy because it was too expensive with the delivery charge which just goes up and up the more you order. 

Similarly with poundametre.com. Though I bought a lot of lightweight fabrics from here and it was £8.99 for delivery but bearing in mind the quantity I did not mind spending that because I was getting loads for my money. This top is made from some of the fabric from there.

efabrics.co.uk was the fastest to ship and get delivered. However the general fabric quality is not so good as the other two but it was cheaper to get delivered. I got some very nice trouser fabric as in office type trouser fabrics from here for about £2 a metre. 

Anyway there are pros and cons with each shop but all in all all 3 shops are well worth investigating. 

 

The fabric for this top is from poundametre.com and I have to be honest I am very happy with their fabric and delivery. 

 

I made the green velvet and black sports legginsg here:

https://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2020/04/green-velvet-and-black-stretch-panelled.html

 

I bought loads of mesh and lace fabrics and a few other bits and pieces just because they were a decent price. Its not good for the stash and my partner has started to complain again. I have however, got round to recycling some of my stash to charity since I really do not see me ever wearing it. It killed me to do it but its gone. 

It was a last minute decision one morning when my neighbours had the charity bags out and I put the fabric out with some old clothes. I actually changed my mind and went out to get it back but they had already collected it. Fate I think stepped in there. Its gone now anyway to the air ambulance which is a charity I like,  so a small bit cleared and since it was heavy weight upholstery velvet that got recycled it allows for a great deal more light weight fabric to get stored in its place.To the anoyance of my long suffering partner. He has even started to talk of buying a shed to get rid of it all. I had to point out I would need to heat it though to stop it rotting!

 

So this top: its all overlocked including the hems. I did start to add a twin needle stitched hem but hated the look so undid it very carefully and redid the overlocking so that its wavy. A bit more punk rock!

 

I have not yet re-overlocked the sleeve edges or neck edge so they seem a bit tight but I think I can do that at some point soon when I have the time.

  

I like the loose feel of the stretched hem line so will probably do it eventually. More than likely when I rip a stitch on my current hems. 


This top I do like, so the pattern I used for this was not exactly a mistake, but I actually prefer to make my squares tops like this self drafted top. This is Butterick 5562 View D . I bought this pattern for the different sleeves variations but have ended upas previously using the ordinary non- gathered, non-puffed sleeve and missed off the wide cowl neck as well. Its got a very nice boat shaped neckline which I love and is more suited to T shirt patterns.

I previously made this top from this pattern:


 What I am going to experiment with is to use the neckline of this pattern on my own self drafted tops next time I make one of these, and see how that works, because this is better than my straight across necks. So I suppose my self drafted top (seen below worn singly and layered) is evolving!

: 

I wear these tops all the time ( and even with the exposed seams on the inside for work like a thin jumper with my work clothing!) so will be making more of these from the rest of my mesh rather than the much more difficult / fiddly pattern used here. I prefer the simpler design of my self drafted tops. Sometimes it feels like a cop out but if you like it thats surely what you should make and not smething more "styled" just because its a commercial pattern. 

 

My self drafted tops are more "punk" and very much more "me". My current collection consisting of 4 or 5 tops are wearing out. 

 Generally tho I wear these kind of tops out over a few years. They are not investment pieces and the ones made back in 2015/16 are all in holes now so need replacing. They are very much what I wear most days though, so I need to make more of them. Now I have some new, and very pretty mesh I will make lots of these.

Roses are a major issue for these tops, because in the garden, I catch the thin fabric on the roses when walking around or gardening.   I love Roses and they are all over the place in my garden - climbers and bush roses and even hedging roses. I suppose I could argue that I should not wear things I love in the garden, but you just go out there to enjoy it and rip things. Or I do anyway.
 

These kind of tops do not last long!

Having said that I have 4 original mesh Omen tops from the early 2000s which are still going. Thats where my inspiration for this look comes from. They are fishnet though so seem to wear a bit better than the thin fabric of the blue tops above. 


 

 I will show you what happens when I make the next version with my new neckline. For now stay safe and have a lovely weekend.

Bracken



No comments:

Post a Comment