Thursday 19 November 2020

Raggy top


When I showed you my witchy dress I mentioned this top. I actually made this first but never got round to blogging about it. This was really hard to sew up. I left loads of small bits of the cut layer out of seams. Then attempted to unpick but the lower layer of the fabric is so fragile I decided to stop that before I reck the top so in the end I just chopped off all the dangly left-out-of-seams bits. To be hoenst I do not think most people will even realise. I had similar problems witht he dress tho that was a ffraction easier to sew up partly because the fabric is more substantial. I think to do this next time I willeither stay stitch all the loose edges down before construction or get some of that glue that washes out and just glue before sewing up.

 

Its another Minerva Fabrics fabric but although looks very similar to the dress fabric its much more delicate and also more glittery. Before I even got to wear this I had "pulls" in the fabric. I may as well just wear it out of course and I really like this top but I would not reccommend buying this particular fabric. Its the version of this stuff with sequins. Its very glittery and for something like a party would be lovely but for an every day top you want to just wear and not worry about its actually not really very good. The fabrc was just £3.99 but the the dress cost me the same and is far better. That has no glitter tho!

 

It could be argued if you buy this kind of raggy fabric you cannot expect a long lasting garment and thats of course very true but the dress will I think last a year or so whearas I suspect the top culd be in the bin by Christmas 2020. Having a lovely dog jump up doesn't help either because he catches his claws and even his rough pads on the fabric and makes even more pulls. You can see one of them here:

So I love the way this looks but if you buy this fabric be ready for it to die pretty quick. Its worn here over a fluorescent exercise vest. I love the see throughness of the slashes.

Other than the short lived qualities tho this is a really nice top and very "me"

 

I wore this with a black velvet maxi dress for halloween evening and it looked lovely. Oh and yet again its my TNT pattern Butterick 5562. Bearing in mind I bought the pattern for its unusual sleeves its been used loads but to make all these basic ordinary sleeved tops. Just shows you can never be sure what you'll end up making when you buy a pattern on a  whim.

Take care and stay safe

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment