Tuesday 6 April 2021

Black glitter hand knit mitts




 I finally made a pair of mitts that fits!

Again these are kitted flat so really easy.

So heres the pattern for this version:

Use 5mm needles and mohair /chunky. Cast on 30 stitches, Knit 1 purl 1 rib for as many rows as you want for your wrist so if you want them to be longer just knit more rows. I did 8 rows for both the wrist edge and the top edge. Continue in Stocking stitch for the body of the gloves. I knitted for 4.5cm in stocking stitch then did the thumb. 

Shaping for thumb k8, 5 stitches onto stitch holder or safety pin, cast on 5 stitches and keep on stitch holder and then continue in stocking stitch for 9cm.

Do top ribbing - 8 rows and cast off using 6.5mm needle.

For thumb pick up the 10 stitches from stitch holder and do knit 1 purl 1 rib for 4cm then cast off using 6.5mm needle. Sew up thumb then sew side seam ( which is actually part way across the wrong side and not actualy at the side.

repeat for second glove remembering to do the thumb on the opposite side to the first glove so you get two " handed " gloves rather than have one with a seam on the top.

So now I am happy to finally get a pair that really does fit me and just in time for the snow that keeps landing. 

I will try these in an aran next I think because I suspect mohair is aran/chunky weights so half way between the two and it may well work for that going by needle sizes. And I have some aran in my yarn stash. I  would also like to start to have a play with patterned gloves made flat and see what I can come up with.

Please let me know if you knit these and any problems you find or if the pattern just does not work. 


 Thanks so much.

Enjoy!

Bracken




No comments:

Post a Comment