Saturday 3 April 2021

Glittery grey track pants




I bought the fabric for these just after Christmas. Its actually the most expensive fabric I have bought to date. I paid £45 for 4m. This was the cheapest I have found and believe me I investigated this very well for about 3 weeks before buying. Its from here:

https://www.fabricsforall.co.uk/online-fabrics-store/Lurex-Sweatshirting-Grey-Marl-p248221045

By buying 4m I got free postage keeping the price right down. From the 4m I managed to very carefully cut the Lekala sports trousers and a Burda sweatshirt. Since I should have needed closer to 4.5m according to the instructions for these patterns I am very happy with myself though have had to use a contrast for the trouser pockets to achieve this. I had to use two different swimwear/ leggings fabrics because I cocked up at the start and sewed the pocket piece to my crotch seam meaning I cut off half the pocket lining - well a disaster believe me. And sad cos I ruined my bats fabric I had left over from my bikini.


Despite the odd inside pockets - one is camo and the other skulls - which I actually quite like - these are otherwise a big and I mean BIG success.


In case you have not noticed - because its really hard to see on the photos - these are GLITTERY! All over!

 So they are not really grey marl. They are glittery marl. Lovely!

I left the hems raw edged and long which I like but has meant I have ended up folding them up when dog walking over the fields else I get covered in mud. I usually add a second layer to my track hems like this:


This time I did not bother. They are simply a raw edge and I like it.

I nearly bought another colour of this fabric. I have seen similar from different sellers in several colours but this time I just wanted a very normal grey. I may have to buy some on payday in another colour to stash for next winter. Oh stashing again!

 

The trouble is the average going rate if you do not buy one of the 3 choices of colour from the seller I got this from is its about £18 per metre and then postage on top of that as well. So I am thinking I need to stick with the colours here - cream/ beige, grey or pale pink. The is a brighter pink available eslewhere and also ochre and orange, mint green and blue as well as navy. But I cannot afford them! There may not be any left by next year tho so seems sensible with this kind of special fabric to get some in stock ready. In a different colour though.

Oh yes and this is cotton and lycra so a bit different to the average sweatshirting and it does stay in shape - knees wise. I suppose being cotton this could be dyed so I might just buy the cheap colours and do that.

I washed the fabric before cutting out to ensure they did not shrink of course which is a good thing to do especially with very expensive fabric though I tend to do this with even the cheapo stuff. Its a pain but its worth it and hanging over doors ( which the other half moans like hell about ) keeps it flattish when drying or at least as flat and even, as I can not find anywhere to actually lay it down flat. Of course its hanging really cos on a door but at least its not all rucked up. 4m is a lot to dry as well. 

I was originally intending to use the same pattern as my recent black terry track pants. In fact I made the black track bottoms as a muslin for this fabric.

 

 Its a good thing I changed my mind because I would not have had enough to also make a top which I am going to do asap. I was reading an email from some fashion shop ( H&M or New Look?) and the new season looks are wider and more flared than my black closed ankle terry ones and I just decided to go with my much loved previous style from Lekala. I think it was a good idea. Though I think perhaps the Lekala are not as wide in the leg as some in the shops. But again I could not have also got a top cut from the 4m I had. I have to get that sewn up soon really I do. I want a tracksuit now.

Its a cop out I admit because I have made 4 pairs of these Lekala trousers before and I always love them though this time I finally taped the bottom bit of the pattern leg which is meant to be a seperate 90s style side split onto the bottom to make them a one piece leg, I have until now just pinned them together. 

 Well no I have made 5 pairs actually but 4 pairs of track pants. The others were just woven cotton and were rather boring and I no longer own them but the pattern is useable for ordinary work trousers too. 

If you want side splits you have to double the bottom panel to do this and have the right length because if you see my red pair this is what they are really meant to be like - sorry picture is rubbish but there are a bottom panel on the legs with side slits in the ankle which you can just about see and I expect is about to come back in fashion and that will make this a pattern worth owning again:

I realised when I first wore these I have not owned a pair of grey track pants since the mid eighties.

 

Of course these are glittery. The trousers are worn here with my red fluffy cable jumper.

 The only bad thing about making these is the fact I used the old Lekala pattern and did not follow my objective of using some of my newer ones. I have literally hundreds of patterns I have never used yet. Still its worth it to have an item of clothing I can truly say I love.

On to make the top part now to go with them. More on that asap.

Bracken

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment