Sunday 4 April 2021

Burda Style hoody 103, 01/2017 - Glittery grey track suit

 

I am so excited! Yesterday I showed you my glittery grey track pants. Today I actually got off my arse and sewed the Hoody to go with them and how good is this for a track suit?

These are my trousers:

The hoody is lovely. I don't know why its taken me so long to get round to this top. It was also very easy to construct. Though I did spend the last few days wondering about the eyelets that you are meant to put into the hood. The pattern has eyelets to thread a pullcord through on the edge of the hood. It does look good on the photos but I was unsure about this.

I actually woke up today and asked my partner - "do you need the pullcord in most hoodys"


His response "No". He rarely uses them they are just for looks. Then follows a conversation about eyelets, pullcords and hoodys. He also pointed out that they often come out even when its a RTW garment leaving a hole and then he usually just does DIY in them. So then, I also know I am rubbish with hammer in fixings. Its not so bad the poppers. They often work well, but eyelets and rivets I seem unable to do well. 

 

And really I also only really use the pullcord on outdoor jackets, such as waterproofs, when yes you do need them. There was an option to do a small button hole I suppose. I have done that before, but again its just for looks really so I decided; stuff it. I am not adding a pullcord. If the design was slightly different you could probably just have a pullcord coming out a channel round the edge but the overlapping neck means this will not work. Ok so no pullcord.

Once thats decided this was a very quick sew. I did take a few breaks but it was pretty much a few hours long project and its done. 

The order to sew for me was started with the pocket and hood - overlock edges and twin needle as needed for hems. 

Pin pocket to front CF panel and it fits so well its really easy to do this because the shaping pretty much positions it for you. I left the bottom pinned to the CF till I pit the band on the bottom at the end.

 

I broke 2 twin needles doing the pocket. Luckily I have spares. They come from an Ebay seller direct from China so I had best get an order in because I have only one left now and they take about 3 months to come but they are as good as the expensive ones. I used my broken twin needle, (there is only 1 broken) as a normal needle to sew reinforced corners on my pocket top by just taking out the second thread. This stops it tangling.

Then add on side panels - very nice finish to my pocket! 

 

On to  CB then - add side panels, add sleeves. Take a break because I did not want to wreck what looks to be a nice top. 

Burda use 2 bands for the bottom band. I just did one the full width of what 2 would have been because if I removed the seam allowance off two edges that gave me enough fabric - yes it was that close! I might though next time put the seam that is CB on the band this time at a side. 


Then add hood and then another break and the bands. One of these is not quite perfect. probably a cutting error because I only just managed to get the bands out of my scraps and I think one is not quite perfectly a rectangle. It looks fine on me but I know its slightly twisted inside. Never mind. It hangs well enough.

And here are more pictures of my lovely comfy glittery track suit:


Well usually I do not take photos inside because they tend to be somewhat dark. It was too dark outside by the time I finished this so we took inside. What can I say? This outfit was just meant to be!
 What a productive weekend!

 I so love it when you finally get something finished that you have planned for months.

Have a brilliant week!

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment