Friday 30 April 2021

Cartoon Print Lounge shorts

 

My other half had a desire for some shorts he can just lounge round in. (And maybe use as underwear if he pops down the shop on a sunday morning wearing his track suit!). These are based on the New Look 6142 track pants. I just cut them shorter.

I have made these kind of shorts  a few times for him but never before included them here but decided this pair is really good. I have had a lot of practice since I have made probably 5 or 6 pairs of these, but I am really quite happy with how these ones have turned out. You can get 2 pairs of these from 2m of average width poly cotton so they are very inexpensive to make. I bought the fabric from Coventry Market. 

The pictures actually show two different pairs made in the same fabric. I improved them as I went along.

In all the previous versions except the purple ones I just encased the elastic round the waist in a channel. Usually - like this pair above  - I use 1 inch wide waistband elastic that I buy whole rolls of because I use it for just about everything ( particularly leggings).  On the purple version below, I actually made two channels and had two rows of narrow elastic.

but I decided ths time I will anchor the elastic in place so I used a stretch stitch all round after adding the elasic. Its an extra step but will stop the problem he has had with other pairs of these where the elastic moved and turns over inside the channel and its impossible to get it back to flat again.

  Well its just a small make this week. I am having to wait before I start any major projects because I have run out of overlocker thread and needles - bad planning I suppose. I am very good at planning my makes but less so at keeping my machines in order and of course the one does not happen without the other, so this week while waiting for things to arrive I will be cleaning and oiling everything ready to begin again. I must admit I do neglect my machines in my enjoyment of sewing. My partner has even told me off for it when machines start to become noisy so this week will be my week to do maintainance.

I have also been thinking loads about #MeMadeMay. I never took part last year because I had started to find it a bit annoying. Well I know you can join part way through, and I nearly did, because I missed it so much, but in the end never did it last year so this year I will definitetly be doing #MeMadeMay so will try and sign up for that this week too.

Take care

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment