Friday 18 March 2022

Gold polo neck top

 

I do feel that this top fits into my New Year aims and fits the Faery Theme I was aiming at. This is from Burda style magazine 114, 12/2014..............and I have no idea why I made it. I never wear polo necks though perhaps I should do because I like it. Though it does possibly work best with more formal bottoms rather than my glittery joggers. I just had a need for glitter that day.

 I decided recently to make something with a higher neck to try to hide my aging neck but it really this top is otherwise is not my usual style. I think I will be making more now though. Its one of the joys of sewing that you make things you would never buy and then love the new style you experimented with.

This top was very warm the other day when it was horridly windy and rainy so I am considering another of these in a different fabric. I will make the sleeves a cm or so longer next time though because I think they are slightly short. Its OK if I stand still but when I move the cuffs ride up a bit.

I do not know what this fabric content is. Its a kind of shiny slippy silky knit. Its very stretchy but quite thin so has excellent drape. I, of course never made use of the drape because I had only small pieces of this. I suppose the polo neck might look more structured if this was less of a soft fabric but i like it anyway.  I bought the fabric some time ago from a very disreputeable online shop who I will not reccommend,  and it was covered in stains and rips and damage so I just could not make anything from it. They basically sold me something they should have binned. 


Then I realised if I carefully cut something that was made of lots of small pieces - like this princess line top - maybe I could actually make something. I originally had 3 metres of this but only tiny parts were useable. Even then I do have a stain on one sleeve and the back panel as well as the CF panel. I managed to cut a second CF so I doubled that panel and the stain is on the lining layer not the outside. The fact I doubled the front panel does mean it hangs a bit differently as you can see from these photos if you look at the hem its not quite right.

The rest of the fabric sadly went in the bin. Still because it was bought on Paypal and I got my money back this really is a freebie and a bonus, and I did enjoy the challenge of trying to make something from the small bits I had with no stains, but really its so sad to throw away most of 3m of fabric. Its taken me nearly a year to actually realise I could do anything with the fabric though so it is a bonus after all.

I no longer buy from the company who sold me this because I had so many problems with them. I also never claimed for most of the rubbish they sent me so I feel no guilt for actually managing to make something from this damaged fabric. Hopefully I never buy from anyone else who sells such rubbish in the future. 

My current two sellers are Minerva who is of course very reputable and nice to deal with, even though a bit expensive but do sell what you actually need rather than forcing you to buy in full metres, and Pound Fabrics who I rarely buy anything that actually costs a pound, but they send you what you ask for and send it fast and after many orders I still have nothing bad to report so would recommend checking them out.  They quite often force you to buy 3m minimum which seems their only downside but if you do not mind having a stash they are a great company. They also do a points system and its surprising how quickly they give you £3 off in the form of a voucher so I would recommend them.

Have a lovely weekend and thanks for popping over to visit me

Bracken



2 comments:

  1. I really like the sleeves on that blouse! What a shame about the dodgy seller, good reminder to use Paypal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura, yes I like them too and they were surprisingly easy to sew. It's the first time I have attempted puffed sleeves on a knit fabric. I am intending another of these tops though. Yes PayPal is definitely worth the extra step when it's offered. If I had just added my card details I would have been ripped off. It was hassle and you can do without having to make a claim but definitely worth taking time to do in that situation.

    ReplyDelete