Friday 11 March 2022

Pale blue velvet joggers


These are the same pattern as my last few pairs so a free pattern. See previous posts for the link to that pattern. 

I have black ones which were my tester/ muslin and I wear a lot though I did make the hems looser on all my other pairs cos they are a little tighter than I want when I a lounging around. Despite that they are brilliant for a free pattern. 

I made red velvet joggers and my favourites are my glittery navy sweatshirt joggers. I wear them whenever I work fromhome which is sadly much less than it was. My green joggers, which I made when I made my red ones so see that post were a disaster. I still have no idea why they looked so awful but I must just accept sometimes not everything works. I am currently repainting the door frames in my house so am using them as decorating clothes and I have to say its much nicer to wear something nice, even if it was below the standard I aim for, for decoratig rather than the rags I usually wear so they are not a complete disaster after all.

The velvet is a dancewear grade stretch lycra velvet, which is also fluorescent so kind of good for January sportswear - even though I actually finished them off in March! 😊


The fact its fluorescent made it really hard to get good photos but I think you can see these. They are not very exciting but will be nice for weekends. 

There are loads of velvet and velour joggers around on the High Street right now so this kind of fits and when wearing them I should not feel too out of place or unusual. Despite I like original clothing I also do not want to stand out too much. I think thats probably down to my age though becase in my 20s I think I was far more extrovert than I am now.  Anyway, having loved my previous several pairs of this pattern I decided to make a blue pair. Though they have ended up having two incarnations. This is due to a problem with these because I ran out of fabric so originally had no ankle cuffs making these three quarter length due to lack of fabric - I had a scant 1m and the hems started out being uncuffed but they were a bit wavy but otherwise they were fine until I walked and they seemed to ride up my legs so in the end I used some offcuts from my grey glitter sweater dress and added contrasting cuffs. Now they do work and I think now spring seems to have sprung they will be worn lots.


Ignore the unbrushed hair - these are after all lounge trousers!
Elasticated waist:
I should wear shoes. It was surprising cold without.

The top is a self drafted top made from squares of fabric just overlocked together and then the edges are overlocked. Its s style I go back to over and over despite being so simple and unstructured. When made from mesh or like this very light weight knits its so versatile ( and a litle bit punk!) and if its really cold its great to have two tops layered or when its warm and in summer it makes a really nice cover up over swimwear and smaller summer tops. My favourite design for certain. I made a similar version with directions here: https://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2015/12/8-dark-navy-top-with-step-by-step.html

I bought this velvet with a bright orange which were meant for the Linea Top from Sinclair Patterns so I only have 1m of each colour, but I never got round to making that because I realised velvet (stretch that is anyway) is really hard to sew up accurately without wavy seams and I now want to use it for something different because I do not want to make clothing that looks rubbish and I think the Linea is going to be too hard to make from this fabric. Therefore its best used for different items - like these joggers- rather than wreck the fabric.

First time I wore these was like Deja Vu -I was back in the early 90s when I had a pair of me-made pale blue three quarter length brocade jeans which were made from second hand curtains. I loved them so much. I still have two of those curtains I made them from so am now seriously cosidering making jeans  - in pale blue brocade!. We will see.

So whats wrong with these then? No real mistakes so I am improving a bit on the green ones I made.

 They are not very warm but the weather is warming up a bit, or at least some days are warmer. 

Its weird but I think the icy blue makes me feel the cold because the actual fabric is quite thick and I don't feel cold in other similar fabrics - like my dark red trousers which are identical to these! Its a problem with the colour but I suspect as we get closer to summer these will become much more wearable.

Thanks for popping over

Bracken

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the icy blue making you feel cold! It is a very wintry colour, that's why it's the colour of Elsa's entire outfit in Frozen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura, Yes you are so right! Its just something I never considered before. I think it will be good for summer so just need some warmer weather now.

      Delete