Saturday 2 July 2022

Nettle Dress by Mood



The pattern for this wrap dress is free from Mood. Its the Nettle dress. I printed this one when they first released the pattern, I think back in March. Since then its been in the "waiting" pile.This is a black linen type of fabric so very cool for summer but gets creased a bit too easy. Still you cannot have it all ways!

I made a top and trousers from similar fabric last summer and I loved them so much I bought some more from the same seller, though this is a slightly coarser weave. Its still decribed as cotton/ linen mix though but also has a bit of lycra. Since I bought it from a discount online seller ( Pound Fabrics - who I would definitely recommend since I have not had a bad experience despite many orders), I suppose its a different but similar batch of cloth. I do not need it to match the previous fabric though - bought many months previously- so that difference doesn't matter. 

Except for the fact that you do really need an iron to press between making different parts of this dress ( yes I know you are always supposed to do so, but I do manage usually not to) its actually a really easy one to make. And a free pattern of course!

 Pattern is from here: https://www.moodfabrics.com/blog/the-nettle-wrap-dress-free-sewing-pattern/


Its my very first ever wrap dress ( not just making but owning) so I am interested to decide how useful I find this. I own several different wrap dress patterns so maybe its time I had a go at another one. I know many people swear by wrap dresses.The cape sleeves are a new thing for me too.

I have to admit to finding the neckline a little too low for me. Or at least its fine if I don't move. But then a cami underneath sorts that fine.I suspect this might also transition into winter with added leggings or even a second longer (under)skirt of black fabric.  Mood have just done a redux of this dress, since I made this, which they slashed and spread the skirt to create a second longer layer and it looks nice. Though if I make it again I will probably use the skirt pattern with a different top I think because its a bit too kimono-ish for my taste really.

Also it was interesting to note when making this that you could just make the wrap skirt and add a waistband because I tried the half made skirt on and loved it.

One thing I particularly love about this pattern is the double D-rings fastening which reminds me so much of 1980s punk dresses and skirts. Though I think the finishing at the edge where top meets skirt is a bit messy to what I usually aim for but I could not work out how to do this better. If you look at the photo below you can see a finished but not hidden edge just next to the fastening.

 

I do love D-rings though!

And finally following on from a few weeks ago here are the local baby geese. 

How cute are they!

 

Thanks for visiting my blog

Bracken

1 comment:

  1. Cute ducks! The D rings definitely are an interesting feature. I have a wrap dress pattern I will attempt sometime, I am thinking of adding a little snap button in the bust so it does not gape.

    ReplyDelete