Sunday 31 July 2022

Summer Baby Doll Dress

It actually got to 38.8degC a few days ago. Thats a record for the UK. Its not good of course but due to climate change. Some parts of the country even got to 41degC. I personally like the heat but over 30degCis too hot even for me. 

I made this dress from what is actually a costume pattern. Simplicity 5359. I have used it before for ordinary summery tops but wanted a short baby doll type of dress. I just extended the hem and made it longer. Its not even wider at the bottom because this is a carmen type of top so pretty wide anyway.

It just has elastic hems in the neck and cuffs of sleeves and its very simple and ideal for hot weather though not really very challenging but when its hot I have to say I lose interest in sewing and it has made for a very wearable nice summery dress that I love and even wore for work one day. Sometimes simplicity is best though it is I admit not much of a challenge and I did say I was going to make new patterns this year. Though I now want a top as well from this pattern. 

 I did consider a belt with this but that would make it less good in the heat and really its fine without one and a belt might make it a bit too short.

 The fabric which is 100% cotton and has the Raven Nevermore design on it, has been in my stash several years. I loved the original dress made for my graduation from this fabric, so much I bought more thinking to make somehing else but it just suits dresses I think. And this style is very easy to wear even though making such an easy design is I admit a bit of a cop out. The fabric is also not too obviously goth (well unless you really look close that is) so I can get away with it in an office environment.

Thanks for visiting my blog, 

Happy weekend

Bracken


1 comment: