Tuesday 28 April 2020

Black top with back lace insert


This top is really a cheat. I made the top a while ago. It was one of three basic black tops I made. This is the low back version which, as I wore it, was not a success. It kept falling off my shoulders. I suppose the opening was too wide at the back. I did not have a patternso hacked a normal top pattern. It was not a great success. It seemed fine when I made it but as worn just was not comfortable. I want to be able to live and move and not worry about showing off everything. So how to fix that.

Well in my stash is a ready made black lace V insert. I bought this ages ago. Its was sold as a front V insert but no reason why it must be for the front, and to be honest that is really not at all my look. These come in various designs. I even saw a skull lace version, but never bought that which I now regret, but at the time I had not found a use for this, and had owned it probably 3-4 years. It was from either Amazon or Ebay international sellers.  But for the back.............now that is very much my look.

So that was possibly a good idea. The top then sat on my sewing table along with the lace piece waiting. Lockdown is good for some things I suppose because its making me get round to all those small jobs I just do not get time to do. I spent probably an hour or so pinning the insert into place then zigzagged it oto the back of the top. Then cut off the excesss fabric. It could be neater if I had sewn it ontot he back piece before construction but of course this is repair really. I cecided not to cut the excess off before sewing and I think that was the right way to fix this. It took away any likelihood of me cutting off too much fabric.
 
It even works with racer back bras!


The fix works really well and I am very happy with the result. I wore this top all day yesterday in fact and it definitely works so it is well worth buying one of these inserts if you see one for sale. I think the V insert cost me at most a couple of UK pounds from a chinese company. It took a while to arrive but for the price its a great way to fix a problem such as this on this otherwise nice basic top.

Of course its no longer as basic a top now but this would never have been a work top anyway with such a low back. It makes a disaster into a very good fancy top which looks brilliant with both jeans and fancier bottoms.
Stay safe
Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment