Wednesday 15 April 2020

Pink flares and Bixa version 2




What can I say about this outfit but I made it because I can!

Its taken me a whole month to get round to taking photos of this outfit. In the meantime I have not worn it. Mainly thats because of the colour and the sleeves which can be trashed too easily with housework and since lockdown I have done loads of that. In fact I think my house is as clean as it was when I moved into it and I cleaned everywhere before unpacking.

In the end though I want to wear the yoga pants to lounge around in so had to get round to taking the photos!


I bought the pink scuba fabric for 99p from Ebay about 30 seconds before the auction ended. It was advertised as that it had a small mark on it but was 6.5m in length. From the photos most of it would be useable anyway. Its not a colour I would usually buy, I have to admit, but for 99p I will try anything.

Cream Bixa
When I received it I washed it and the stain came out - bargain then. Still not any ideas for what to make from it so into the stash it went. Now I am about to start a new job ( assuming its still there after lockdown anyway) and want some new tops and I am bored so I decided to make another Bixa. Its was already on the To-Do list anyway and at 99p its a cheap risk. So I lengthened the body section because the cream version is a bit short for my age - or so I feel. You have to feel comfortable after all. Its not all about fashion.


Then I joined the top sleeve and bottom (under sleeve parts) together. I lengthened the top overlay to the same length as my new sleeve pattern. I then cut it all out from the pink crepe and the overlay is cream wedding veil tulle.



In the end I am not going to wear this top for work! 

Since the fabric was also huge (6.5m) I decided to cut a "matching" pair of yoga pants using the free pattern from here:
http://ifonlytheywouldnap.net/2015/03/06/free-yoga-pants-pattern/

I used this pattern several times before and I really like it. Its makes for tight slightly flared yoga style trousers. I do not however like "yoga band" waists so cut a proper waistband from some scrap leapardskin print fabric from when I shortened my dress which was about the same time as cutting this hence I knew where it was.  The dress now ends just above my knees and is worn far more than it was, which was never. The resulting waistband is a fake yoga band that has wide elastic in normal waistband with a second strip sewn on top to give the yoga band look. It works for me.



I also added 3cm to the width below the knee on each side of the front and back pattern pieces, which I graded down to the bottom hem to make the flares wider and just hoped they did not twist as a result. It worked and they did not twist. I really like them!

I sewed the trousers up with crepe-side as right side but the top as crepe-side inside. Crepe-side outside for tops for me feels very aging. I prefer a flatter fabric.

It was a bit tricky adding the overlay which turned out very full but with careful pinning it worked. As I went to sew it I also decided to add the ribbons. The ribbon addition was just inspiration.

Well what can I say? Its completely impractical so it really is a case of "just because you can". 


 Because the top is longer than my previous cream version you only see the waistband when I stretch or bend but thats OK. Its a nice touch I think.
 I just could not resist the ribbons. I own a Burda pattern for a medieaval costume top and that has a similar shaped sleeve which gave me the inspiration, but I has made it a top that I do not feel I will wear for work. This shade of pink and the overlay and the flares - well its all a bit OTT really isn't it?
Thats what lockdown is doing to me!

I am not sure the top will get worn much to be honest,  though for a day out somewhere, it has a place in my wardrobe. As previously though with the last Bixa top, this could be a good wedding guest outfit. Or a going out to dinner or a clubbing outfit.

The trousers though, I am aching to wear.  Surprisingly I even do not mind the pale dusky pink colour. I

Looking at these photos I am also aware I need to make some underwear (knickers!) that looks better in these kind of clothes! Its on my next list!



Thanks for popping by and stay safe,
Bracken


No comments:

Post a Comment