Monday 4 April 2022

Dark Faery hoody cowl dress 1

Well this is a black T shirt weight fabric ( unknown fibre but I think synthetic) Hoody Cowl dress so similar to my blue velvet one but maybe more wearable being black. I used the sleeves from the A symetric velvet dress - also Burda style and they are the same size/ shape at the shoulder and top so I thought probably I could exchange them for the annoying flared sleeves meant to go with this hoody cowl dress. Or at least the origial sleeves lok brilliant but are hard to wer in real life and end up dipping into water when hand washing or getting butter on when making sarnies etc etc so I find I keep rolling them up. Not ideal for my life anyway. Fine for going out though but I want wearable in everyday life including for my job.
The hoody /cowl hood is lined with stretch lace the same as the blue dress I made a few weeks ago.
Not sure whats happening with that gathered look at the back of the shoulder. I realised after seeing these photos I need to remove and resew that up. The other side works just fine. Maybe I stretched the fabric as I sewed or something? I will repost an update once I resew that sleeve. And VPL too. This dress has all the problems possible!
It was hard to sew this. Very slippy fabric and I ended up with wavy hems everywhere so I sewed stretch lace on all hems. It kind of makes it a bit better but does not eliminate the wavy hems really just disguises them a bit.
The sleeve seams look puckered in the above photo as well. In real life there are no puckers or gathers on this sleeve but it definitely doesn't look quite right in photos. Maybe its down to me changing the sleeves?

 So I am not so sure about this dress. I like it and once I fix that sleeve will wear it, but its very imperfect really. I still expect to wear it lots despite the imperfections - especially since its black. I think maybe the fabric is just a bit too thin for the style. But drapey should work I would have thought. The fact my overlockers need new blades has not helped either. I really must get round to replacing them before I end up wrecking something.

So what do you think? Its another hoody cowl but not as good as I had hoped. But it does work for my Faery theme. I will have to make another version in black though and try to get it better than this one. Maybe with a slightly less soft and slippy fabric - something more stable I think will be better. After all, I cannot have too many of these hoody dresses!

Bracken

2 comments:

  1. I love the moody feel! I don't think the imperfections are too noticeable if someone saw it without them being mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are probably right. I get a bit over worried about imperfect things sometimes I think. I do like wearing this particular dress so it must not matter that much after all.

    ReplyDelete