Tuesday 19 April 2022

Dark Faery Hoody cowl dress 2 and black Asymetric dress

 I made two more black dresses. Both with a Gothic Faery theme.

The first is another hoody cowl but its a different pattern. I have made a version of this before because its actually based on my TNT pattern McCalls 6612.  Last time I made a top and tbh it was not well made and did not last long which was a bit sad because it was a nice top. I never invested in a ballpoint needle when I made it and it gained holes. Its weird because I since never use ballpoints either and have never had the same problem despite they tell you you should use one, but in the case of my red hoody top no, it definitely caused holes. 

So using the same idea as my last Burda style hoody cowl dress, I used black cotton lycra for the body and heavy weight black lace for hood and sleeves and I think it was a great idea because this is lovely.

A
 I only had 1m of lace fabric so had to piece the lower sleeve so I ruched this to cover the join and then had just a tiny piece of fabric left so this dress has mitts too!
I love built in mitts and I wore this to the dentist and it felt so good. 
 
I really do like this version even though, like my last hoody cowl dress, I have a wavy hem problem going on. Not too sure how I sort this. 
 
Maybe there is some sort of interfacing that would work to prevent this??? 
 
I seem to remember reading something years ago about that. 
 
I need to do a bit of blog hopping to see if anyone has any suggestions. 
 
Do you know how to stop this ? 
 
Please tell if you have any ideas. 
Definitely feel pixie-ish in this dress!

Now I made the second dress by accident. 

I meant to cut a Burda hoody cowl like my previous Dark Faery dress but I somehow picked up the wrong pattern - and cut it - before realising, so of course I just made this up because I cut it out and do not want to waste the fabric. 

Its the same size as the velvet dress but as you can see it looks much tighter. 

 

Though does not feel so but defnitely looks tight. I need different undies anyway - either that or shorten it, ruche the sides or something maybe, and that should hide the tightness. Since its actually meant to have side ruching on one side I may do that and ruche both sides this time though but I have not decided just yet.

Its a bonus dress. I would like it to look good though because the fabric for this was not cheap. And right now I am not too happy with these photos.

Its is also longer than I had intended to be making because I simply never wear these longer hemmed dresses I keep making so yes I think probbaly I will just go back and ruche both sides of this amnd maybe update this post once I have done that to show you if it makes this dress any better. I suspect that it will.

The neck line is good though and I do love Asymetrc weird shaped dresses.

Take care and see you soon

Bracken


4 comments:

  1. Oooh, love the lace sleeves with built in gloves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I really like that dress. Really its because I had not enough of either fabric. Its so weird sometimes how things work out when you have to improvise. I think sometimes it makes for much better clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The neckline is sooo good! It was the first point that leapt out at me here. What a stellar make! So versatile and eye-catchingly awesome.

    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    PS: I'm new to your delightful site, having discovered it this week via a recent comment you left on Laura Morrigan's blog.

    PSS: I hope this doesn't sound wildly odd, but you bear a striking resemblance to two of my paternal relatives. Like, so much so, that I literally did a double-take when I first saw your photos here. That is so cool to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Thank you for your kind comments! No problem with the paternal relatives. What country are you in? I do have relatives - as in ancestors who emigrated to Canada, USA and Australia several generations ago - so my Dad's Aunties and cousins. My Dad is now 80 so we are talking back in the 1930s, 40s and 50s I think. So quite possible we could be related.

    ReplyDelete