Saturday 22 October 2022

Velvet floral flares

  

Hello and welcome!

I am not usually someone into florals but this fabric just called to me. I bought it, probably a year ago, so its sat waiting for sometime. In the end I decided it will make some nice cheerful winter loungewear. Something I can wear for both slobbing at home, and for popping out to the shops or to a friends without looking too Loungey.

 

Its an old much used so very much Tried and Tested (TNT) pattern that is also a freebie and I have now made so many versions I can only thank the maker of this pattern very much for the use of it and for giving it away free. 

As my last couple of pairs of these, I widened the flares a little - you can read how to do this on the original post where I did this. This worked great before and has worked again.  I have now permanently widened this pattern at the hems.

This is the link to the pattern: https://siloandsage.com/2015/03/06/free-yoga-pants-pattern/

I can honestly state I have now tried several similar (paid for) patterns that are not even half as good as this one so this is a very much recommended pattern. 

I have made velvet holiday glitter flares, aubergine flares and plain flares from this pattern and used it so many times I have completely lost count of how many pairs of trousers, PJ bottoms and yoga pants this has made. It was even the pattern for my recent scuba fabric camo flares. Its seriously one of the best patterns I own. BUT if you do want flares you will need to widen the bottoms because the original pattern is from a different fashion time and is only slightly flared!


Rather than use stretch velvet for the waistband I used some thinner cheap black fabric left over from something or other because I find my previous (several) pairs made from stretch velvet are a bit bulky round the waist. 

At this point I cocked this up. The waistband is far from perfect. Still its virtually never that I would tuck my tops in or wear a cropped top with no longer top under it so this will only really matter to me. No one is going to see this but the front has a slight dip in the waist which is also a bit off centre. I think perhaps this black fabric was a little too slippy and thin. A T-shirt weight might work better?

 


Otherwise these worked really well and I very much enjoyed wearing them with my big navy hoody.


Ah and this style has even come back into fashion. Not that thats why I made them, because I have worn this style as "yoga pants" since my first pair back in 2016 and they were very much NOT in fashion then. Its just a bonus these are also very like much of what is currently on the high street- just mine are unique and therefore better!

They were also very cheap because I bought 2m of this fabric which is a high quality dancewear grade stretch lycra velvet and I paid £5 per metre. I have enough left for another pair of trousers or maybe even some leggings or a top. Not sure which as yet but I will make something else soon from this fabric. Despite the fact its a floral its very much me it seems. I felt good out and about shopping in these and thats not something I would say about everything I make. And these trousers are comfy and warm for autumn. And I feel these really will fit this year's Faerie theme!

Win, win all round with this one then.

Have a great week and thanks for popping by. See you soon,

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment