Wednesday 24 May 2023

Paisley skulls tunic/ dress - Burda Style hoody 103, 01/2017

 




Well finally I started to feel better. Since the variant I probably had of covid was likely to be Omicron I seriously feel sorry for those who had the earlier variants because I felt ill!

But I am better and decided to try to use up my paisley/ skull scraps from my trousers I made a couple of weeks ago and I had almost enough for the Burda hoody I enjoy wearing. I added black bands to make up the extra fabric I needed.

This pattern is very " segmented" which on this occassion means I can get a hoody from my scraps. I really wanted to make a top similar to this red skully one:

 

The red skull top is made using one large piece of fabric for each of the front and back but I just did not have big enough offcuts. This green paisley skull top has "princess seams" so the front piece (and back piece) is made of 3 smaller pattern pieces. Plus the pocket. The red top does not have a pocket and yes, pockets are a bonus really. I do like pockets.

 

But I just did not have enough large bits of fabric to make that and this Burda version is nice and works well. I have used this pattern to make several hoody's from sweatshirting, scuba and stretch velvet

 


I love the pattern because its goes together really easily and neatly and you don't have to guess where to stick the top and bottom of the pocket like many patterns because it goes straight into the princess seams so you just pin into position and lie it flat and its easy to get the pocket dead on centre. Then you sew the top down and sew the pocket sides straight into the princess seams. The bottom of the pocket goes into the bottom band so its very neat!

Most hoodies are not so easy to get right. You have to do loads of measuring and it takes much longer than this pattern. However, because I had only scraps my pocket skulls are not perfectly in line with the body but I expect only I will ever notice but ideally I would have matched them better. There was simply not enough fabric for that perfection this time though, and to be honest I am happy just to make this hoody from what I had left over from my trousers.

So far I never took a photo of this top with my trousers but will try to add that later. This is really more likely to be worn alone or with leggings or flares anyway. Ah and here its worn with my black velvet flares which were made as winter PJs. In the case of this pair I never widened the flare which I have on more recent versions so these are really just the basic yoga pattern. They were made back in 2018 so they are old now. I was also a lot bigger when I made them so possibly they are more flattering now than they were then. Either way they are a basic pair of trousers I seem to still wear pretty regularly. 

I used black tubular ribbing for the bottom band and the cuffs. I never added mitts to this top because I am wearing it probably mostly this summer. I therefore just added the narrow bands needed to pull the sleeves in slightly rather than the longer mitts/ bands I usually use. It seems to work well and the sleeves are the right length for me. 

When it came to the bottom though I decided to double the usual width I usually sew on because then this will be a bit longer and more like a dress or tunic which should work with leggings and also still work with my trousers which will match if they are worn together.


And it does work - though its a little more baggy at the bottom than I accounted for. 

 

If I do this one again I will narrow the bottom band rather than just double the width. But still, I have enjoyed it so far. And it does work alone as a dress as well so will be great if I ever get to the beach this summer.

I hope the weather is as good where-ever in the world you are, as it is here right now. Its not too hot yet but its 20 deg C today so its getting there. Summer is coming! 

Have a great week won't you,

Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment