Sunday 22 May 2022

Oversized Hoody Skulls Tshirt - May 22nd #MMM22

 

I wanted a large baggy over top thats not so thick as a sweatshirt that I can throw over other smaller tops in summer when its cooler in the evening, or wear on the beach - or when its raining!

I also wanted it to be a hoody. 


 I have lots of different hoody patterns but many are princess lines or fitted girly tops and I did not want that.


This is Newlook 6142 and I made size mens XL. I used the same pattern before for my mesh spotty top.  

 

This time though I shortened the sleeves and added cuffs.The cuffs are just scraps of black ribbed fabric.

 

I actually won this fabric from Minerva Crafts in a competition last year using my 2-tone dress as the entry. Or at least I won a voucher and used that to buy the fabric. I was so happy. I never usually win anything.

 

The lovely fabric is an expensive cotton and lycra fabric and as you can see is covered with grey and red sugar skulls. So I was slightly tempted to make leggings but I think I will wear this more. I find with leggings its fine on a warmer day but then if its cold or rainy I add an extra layer of something such as combat trousers or joggers over them, meaning they end up pilly due to the top fabric rubbing and it means if I make leggings they will not last long. And this fabric is very precious to me partly due to I actually won this, hence its taken a while to actually use it. I wanted a pattern that was basic with not too many lines or seams breaking up the skulls. It also need to be worthy of several seasons which I think this top will be.

Unfortunately, some of the photos are a bit blurred due to me happily twirling.

I went through so many ideas of what to make for months before deciding on this very basic and XL sized hoody.

 ,

I had just 1.45m of the fabric which limits what can be made and also I wanted to use it all so I do not waste much of this lovely fabric and this design works for that. I do not have a lot left of this in bits. Making it an environmentally friendly top too!

Theres no doubt about it sometimes that basic is better for some of the nicer fabrics - so you get to see the design rather than have it all chopped up into sections. And I also like to wear big baggy tops so this works very well for me for summer - and probably autumn and winter as well.


Here its worn with my black narrow joggers which is a free pattern. 

The black ones I find a bit tight on the shins for my taste and the fabric is not very stretchy but then these were made to test the pattern out and the fabric was super cheap as well as being left over from an older project. 

Despite the tightness on my shins they are still wearable as you can see and I am wearing them all day today so they are not that bad but I did make the later versions of these a bit looser. But then thats the point of making a tester/ muslin isn't it.

I think its going to be a brilliant top with just about everything!



And I am confident this top will get worn a lot!
And thats what I wanted to achieve.
Have a great Sunday and thanks for popping by to visit me,
Bracken 

1 comment:

  1. The hoodie looks great! The two-tone dress is really nice too!

    ReplyDelete