Friday 3 December 2021

Black narrow leg track pants

These are my new track suit bottoms. They are made using the Life Sew Savory Free Track pants pattern which arrived in my inbox a few weeks ago. Since I have lots of fabric and my intention now is warm winter clothing - preferably comfortable clothing - then this is perfect so I decided to try the pattern out.

Before I go rushing in and using it for my expensive velvet lycra that I want to use, I decided on using the rest of my cheap black (synthetic) french terry that I used the wrong way round for these track pants earlier this year. Despite the very cheap and nasty fabric these served me well in a very cold rainy camper van holiday to Scotland in the spring so this fabric might be cheap and nasty but it was worth the £5 I paid for it. I am using it now as a muslin for this pattern because I need to be sure of sizing etc before I cut into my expensive stashed cloth.

I am intending to eventually use some of my 1m stashed fabric to make some of these joggers which are currently on sale in Next - or something very similar:

I think this pattern will wrok well for this look.

The pattern is drafted for a 5 foot six woman. I added an inch since I am 5 feet 7 inches. The length is fine so this works well.

The only issue I have with this pattern is the lack of grain line arrow. However, if I was more clever I should have realised by the original blog post where the maker uses the pattern for striped fabric that the grainline is in the direction of the outside seam because her striped fabric matches up. I would encourage others to check out the full blog post before cutting. Its helpful.

But despite my grainline being slightly out - I cut with it central grain - like most of my other track pant patterns - these have worked and I am definitely using some of my 1m lengths of stretch velvets to make more - similar to some of the Next lounge pants I have been perusing recently one of which you can see above. I really need to stop buying just 1m when I see a bargain of nice fabrics because you cannot even get full length leggings from it ( for me anyway ) so these fabric pieces sit there for years. I considered flares but they also obviously won't fit. My stash pile has far to many 1m lengths I cannot find a use for!

Anyway since these will actually work from just 1m of fabric and its a really good pattern, I am happy to recommend to everyone to 

TRY THIS PATTERN! 

Its ace!


The only thing I had go wrong with this ( other than my cock up with the grain line which to be honest seems to have made no difference anyway) is I broke all my twin needles. I ended up using a stretch zigzag to finish my waistband because I really wanted to wear these and not wait for a new needle to arrive. I actually really like it as a change from my usual waistbands so one to remember I think.
Ah in case you wondered I also made the top. Its from some Minerva Fabrics velvet which is currently reduced.

Anyway no doubt about this one,  these are a success and I can only say try this pattern. I do not have any other patterns for narrow joggers and I have not seen any so this really fills a gap in the market and ofcourse its also a freebie. Whats not to like?

So thank you to Life Sew Savory for sending me the link to these. Its a really nice addition to my wardrobe. 

Its also a great start to my winter wardrobe and now I will not be coverting those lovely Next velvet track pants! I will just make some to fullfil my need for warm winter velvet!


No comments:

Post a Comment