Thursday 9 December 2021

Another me designed aran for mohair type yarns

 

I have been meaning to do this for a few months now. I actually started to knit this in July knowing that with winter approaching - from a knitting point of view I decided its time I repeated my original self designed aran.

 This time I added a different mix of cables to the sleeve though to what Idid on the pale blue one. 

This is the original blue version of the sleeve stitches: 

I decided to swap the 2 stitch central cable (C2) for a 6 stitch cable (C6) on the pink version meaning I have a slightly wider sleeve.

I also added an extra edge stitch on each side of the body so every row ends in a knit meaning its much easier to match the two edges up accurately when sewing up.

 Since this took a while I wrote this as I knit or I began that way but then as time when by I got a bit slack and did not keep writing and relied on notebooks.  I will try to explain what I did, though I still have not yet sussed out the software for plotting/ charting the pattern properly. 

Never mind because the version this this time is really to check my own design is repeatable anyway. Then I can take this from there and write a proper pattern because the one I posted in the Pale blue glitter aran is very rubbish - as I must admit - so hard for anyone even me to follow. 

It also means I get to check what I wrote originally in my note books. I have found it a bit unfortunate that I seem to have 4 different note books on the go at once. Its not so bad with sewing because I do most things reasonably quickly but with knitting I can take 2-3 months to do a jumper so that means I have gone and made new notes in whatever is my nearest notebook. Yes I have quite good notes but I have had to put them in order - not always with good descriptions of what I am on about either and that it actually makes sense. So far I have already found several things I have written that were very confusing but luckily with my original notes and the first jumper I knitted as my reference, I am going to figure out exactly how I need to get this written down for others to use as a real pattern.

Also I cannot even consider going into different sizing till I can plot into a recognisable knitting chart either, so this is version 2 and I am just trying to repeat and perfect the original for this. It will also be a good winter jumper and making it in a paler colour does mean I get a jumper where I can easily see what I need to change or rearrange whereas a darker colour makes it much harder to work things out and even to see if things need changing. I think paler shows the design better though personally I prefer a more vibrant colour. So this, like the pale blue is a muslin. Paler colours also make it much easier to stitch count when you want to repeat an earlier design which is only written down in very vague self made and rather incomplete notes.

When I went back and had a look at the pale blue aran I realised I needed 23 x 25g balls (575g) and that one came out short or cropped (depending on your view point) so I want a longer version of that because before I can even consider publishing this ( as in a pattern designing so maybe a new career - well you have to dream don't you!!) and I need to get this right and get people to trial it. 

So if you do want a description of how to knit this please refer to the earlier post on this. I really do not know if its possible to work out what I am on about if you are not me! 😀 But if it is confusing and you decide to give it a go please just ask me. I will eventually do a proper chart of this one. Its on my Christmas holiday off-work to-do list to learn how to use the software to make knitting charts.

Anyway back to the yarn needed: I have 20 balls (500g) of vintage ( sourced from Ebay) Patons Mohair Focus on Cotton in cream but I suspect to get a decent length of jumper I wlll need more than this so I decided to mix again. Also of course the yardage of individual yarns of the same weight does vary and I have no idea what the yardage of the pale blue version was. Of course if I ever give this pattern away or sell something similar its going to have to be in a modern recognisable yarn, but for now this is a good trial. The last jumper had 4 yarns plus a glitter yarn. This one is going to have just the two yarns. And no glitter. I will knit 2 rows of each colour in stripes and see how it works out. So I am mixing with an unknown mohair from Ebay of which I have 10 x 25g ball so a total of 250g of this. Mixed togather this then gives me 725g so that should do for a normal length jumper I think.  That way I will definitely have enough for a big aran jumper for winter and enough to know I can seriously check this pattern and hopefully at the same time as knitting learn how to use the free software. The second yarn is a cream/pale pink so really this is not the usual look for me but the pale colour allows easy discernment of the pattern and easy counting and I can always wear this for work where I really do not care how I look. You never know I may even get into pretty pastels at this rate!

My pale blue glitter jumper which is the original, is knitted in 6.5mm needles with ribbing in 5.5mm needles though the yarns for that were meant to be in a range from 4.5mm to 5.5mm but I am thinking with cables it will be thicker anyway so not problem and this holds for this yarn as well. The blue version seems to have worked because its been worn lots over the spring and now the autumn.

So copied from the Pale blue aran from my own previous post, but this time I did aran ribbing ( the blue had normal un-twisted ribbing because I did not have as much yarn to play with) and this time I also did more of it - ribbing that is. This is also a much longer length jumper all together than the blue version. I think my neck band came out a tad wider on this one too though that does not worry me because it means I can tuck a scarf in. I will need to sort the neck sizing out as well though. Thats one of those multiple note books problems! 

Ah I really do need to use either just one notebook, or one for knitting and one for sewing. I have such good intentions but when its happening for me - the creating that is - I just grab whatever is nearest, make some notes or drawings and get on with what I am making. This does mean for some confusion later I am now finding when I need to repeat. Blogging is helpful though for recording stuff I find recently. I seem to refer back to my own posts quite a bit when it comes to this kind of creation and how I made it.

 

 At the end of this I still have 3 pink balls of mohair and 7 cream Patons mohair focus so I actually used 7x 25g of the pale pink, and 13 x25g of the Patons Mohair Focus on Cotton in cream. I made a 34-36 inch bust or a UK size 8-12 -ish depending on how fitted you like to wear your clothing. The pink and cream stripes make for a kind of pale pinky beige colour. It works well and meant I had definitely enough yarn not to have to worry about completing this. Just I now need to learn how to make profesional looking knitting charts and I can start asking people to trial it for me.  Overall I am pleased I really did manage to repeat the original aran I made and I am hopeful my dream to start to produce knitting patterns for use by others is actually possible. 

And if you did make it to the end of this rather rambling post, well thanks for reading my blog and hopefully you will drop back again soon.

Bracken

 



No comments:

Post a Comment