Sunday 2 May 2021

White cotton lace hand knit

  

This looks simple but was actually really hard to knit being a non-symetrical pattern. I did enjoy this one though, despite lots of ripping it back due to mistakes being made when I got tired. Sometimes in one evening I unpicked several previous days work - more than once. It really was not easy to knit. There is an easier symetrical pattern given which works on the same jumper pattern but me being me decided to go for the non-symetrical stitch. It was hard.

Still I got there in the end and I do like this and it will be a great summer top though it needs a wash before I even get to wear it due to the colour and it taking so long to knit, dogs jumping on my knee when I am knitting and throwing manky dog toys at me and my knitting and me dropping the yarn all over the floor. My floor is not dirty but it doesn't take much for white to soil a bit. I feel I need to wash before wearing in public anyway.

The yarn being a bit thinner than my usual yarns I had to use 4mm and 5mm needles. I found that a little daunting. My Mum would still call them big needles but for me they are small. I do not go in for the 12mm knitting needes but I do like a 6mm for my main bit of knitting really. So this getting finished and reasonably quickly is very much an achievement.

This is knitted on aran sized needles in cotton dishcloth yarn. I got the yarn from Ebay last summer ( a huge ball thats 2.5kg for £20 including postage) but was not ready to use smaller needles yet and I do find cotton horrible to knit with. Soft mohair types are just so much lighter and nicer to knit. But having bought the yarn I feel I do need to use it. I am currently exploring other methods of jumper making than knitting because this weighed so much by the end it hurt my wrists knitting it. I have easily enough left for one and maybe two other jumpers.



The pattern comes from one of those 1980s ( and they probably still do similar now) monthly magazines that you collect and keep. This folder was thrown out a couple of years ago by my Mum's neighbour and my Mum gave it to me. My Mum has bad arthritis and does not kit anymore.

The sad thing about knitting this was it started off in near perfect condition but to do it easily I took the page out the folder and over the month or so it took to make this it got very battered. 

The rest of the folder is in mint condition except for the page I used. Still making this justifies yet another knitting book I can keep when my other half next moans about my space hogging with all my patterns.😉
 


I followed the pattern exactly despite misgivings except for the neck. I did a plain crew neck not the slashed neck on the pattern because it will be more wearable for work.

The one thing I will change if I ever knit this again is the ribbing on the wrists are too wide. There are far too many stitches and I even considered making the sleeves 3/4 to deal with this but I am likely to wear it more with normal long sleeves. In the end being cotton hopefully they will not stretch too much. 

Thanks for popping by my blog,

 Bracken


No comments:

Post a Comment