Monday 23 May 2022

23rd May, #MMM22 - Raggy dress


Its a bit colder today and damp. This is my goth raggy dress which to be honest I have not worn much at all. Last Halloween (which it would have been perfect for!) it was lost somewhere in my wardrobe and now its summer I have found it at last while looking for something different, so decided it is really time I wore this. I think I only wore this once before so its a classic item for the #MMM22 challenge - ie; to wear what you actually make rather than just make and store it all.
Underneath - because the double layer raggy fabric is see through - is my original mesh high low skirt. I never made this for a petticoat but to be honest its really perfect for this dress. I have worn the mesh skirt a few times in layers because I have lots of these. I went crazy about them a few years ago and have at least 5 of these in different light weight fabrics. Though not all have the rolled edge finish. I think I may add that to the rest of them now though because I like this one the best. So thats a task for the next few months

First I need the new overlocker cutters because right now mine is totally blunted. I originally blamed my black cardi coat but since realised maybe its also because I used to sew maybe 4 items a month whereas now its a bit like a factory. I cut loads out then sew sew sew. So I now sew up maybe 4 or 6 items at once by doing all the shoulders, all the side seams then have a half made pile and then do all the hems and finishing. It means more clothing made but also far faster. So I suppose besides the fact the cardi coat did make the overlocker work very hard but I also since then made about 10 further items in a matter of a couple of weeks. 

Also I make my own fruit cover bags for individual fruit bushes. Just from cheap mesh. But I must have made 30 of them so far this year. I should get some photos. My allotment is very smart right nowcovered in those bags. It works too because I had a few last year and we get much more frits from the bushes with bags on them. I even covered a youg cherry tree this week. Not sure yet if that will work though. Anyway all this sewing is possibly why my blades are blunt again. I have ordered new ones but I have to wait now which means I am sticking together downloaded patterns and cutting out again. I already have alarge box of things need sewing up and still cutting out and no blades as yet. 

Having said that though I am kind of addicted to stretch fabrics and have a collection ( a large stash!) of wovens so I am also cutting out some wovens right now which there is actually no excuse for me to not get sewing. Besides I have paid out money for them they will be really good for summer so I have the free ( from Minerva Fabrics) McCalls 7969 dress cut out as well as the free Mood Sewciety Nettle dress.  I put both patterns together this weekend. 

So hopefully in the next week I will have something new to show you as well. Thanks for visiting my blog,

Bracken

3 comments:

  1. What a marvellous dress! It is giving me serious Stevie Nicks vibes.

    Autumn Zenith 🧡 Witchcrafted Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I love this dress. I really must make sure I wear it more often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! You should wear it more, just for fun! I love the contrast of a black dress amongst spring flowers!

    ReplyDelete