Sunday 8 May 2022

Grey and lace hoody cowl faery top

 

I actually think this is the best top I have ever made. Since its #MMM22 I am finally getting round to showing you this top. I have actually been wearing it a couple of months I think.
When I decided to cut this out I was on a roll cutting out loads because I was not able to sew due to having broken my overlocker - or at least had dull blades that would no longer cut meaning it just blocked up and wrecked what I tried to sew. So I was really on a sewing break.

Not though a cutting out break.
This pattern is yet another Burda style hoody cowl which is a pattern I admit to having become obsessed with recently. Maybe its because I made a smaller size which actually fits now? I completely retraced the whole pattern back in January when I ealised the original I was using did not even fit inside the Pattern lines on the sheet so I had moved it when I originally traced it back in 2015 I think. So I had a very weird copy. I am amazed it fit me at all. Its obviously a very forgiving style!
I also shortened the original length on all my recent versions and this one is really a long top not even a dress. And its a High-Low. Partly the High-Low hem is down to lack of fabric. I had 1.5m of this and this style really needs around 2.25m to do it comfortably so I decided a top will work best and mean I can get this from the fabric I had.
You can see the High-Low really well here.
I used a pink and beige leopard print mesh for the inside of the hood to keep the lining nice and light. I found my original versions of this  pattern - made years ago now were very heavy round the neck. Using a very lightweight lining worked really well on my blue velvet dress so I followed the same idea here.
The red faux leather leggings are very old now. I shortened them recently. They used to be ruched around the ankles - although in my case they were ruched by being long not because I sewed them ruched so they were easy to turn into ordinary leggings by just chopping off and hemming them.

I have two other pairs of similar leggings so am intending to do the same update on them as well.

I just love the huge hood you get with this pattern. Yet it also works as an off the shoulder dress - which I did not show here - and also as a normal work worthy cowl neck top. Very versatile.


This top also has built in mitts which is a very good addition. The sleeves I made Uber long but they are not actually ruched so I can alter them later if I decide to. I do prefer over long sleeves though and its nothing to do with fashion, although I know recently overlong sleeves are back on the catwalks again. Also like my recent black dress I used a different sleeve because the flared sleeve of the original dress is kind of annoying for every day life. This turned out better than my black version but I think this fabric is more stable.

So for a bit of very boring grey-marl stretch T shirt fabric thats been in my stash for years because yes, its boring and very ordinary, this has really worked out into a lovely wearable top.

AND as a bonus it also fits my 2022 Faerie inspired clothing theme.

Have a great day and thanks for popping over,

Bracken

2 comments:

  1. Such a lovely outfit. I love your lace hoody cowl faery top, it's so pretty and the pattern is great, I also love the huge hood. The red faux leather leggings compliments your beautiful top, and you look beautiful in it. Love this outfit of yours.<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Karen, Thank you! Thats kind of you to say so.

      Delete