Tuesday 3 May 2022

Red Lace hand knit dress - free pattern, #MMM22

 


One thing I kept seeing and liking in Krakow was the knitted dresses. I suspect they will be common on the High Street here as well but I rarely go proper shopping other than for DIY or food so I couldn't be sure.
So I decided to design my own. This is my pattern which I will give you for free if you want to make this.

Its exactly the same simple lace stitch I used for this jumper here: https://brackencrafts.blogspot.com/2021/08/lace-free-knitting-pattern.html


Though does have a different number of stitches for the skirt than for the jumper. It takes 6x 50g balls of Hayfield mohair. The yarn is vintage from Ebay but I think any chunky/ aran weight mohair will work for this. Using 5.5mm needles throughout. Its knitted from the hem up as follows:

LACE PATTERN: Pattern is multiples of 11, + 2 (to make up the end of the pattern), + 2 (edging stitches)

Knit edge stitch every row.  There is no ribbing so you knit two rows of garter stitch then go straight into the lace stitch which gives a nice wavy edge. I used the aran cast on for this one. Last time I used a stretchy cast on but time has made me think an aran cast on would be fine and maybe keep this in shape more than the last version which is a bit baggy and out of shape after several months being worn and washed. This is totally different yarn though being 78% mohair and is much lighter and uses smaller sized needles. Needles used for this: 5.5mm.

Front and Back

Cast on 92 stitches using the 5.5mm needles.

3 rows knit = plain garter st.

Set the pattern – Row 1: 1 edge st k, *2p,   yarn over to make hole(h), 3k, knit 3tog, 3k. h,** , Repeat from *to ** until last 3 stitches, 2p, 1 edge st k.

Row 2 and every reverse row is:  purl all holes and purl all knit stitches, knit all purl stitches and knit the edge stitches.  Right side row: pattern as rows 1, 3, 5, 7 on chart.

Follow chart to complete the next 14 rows - 7 rows of pattern and 7 return rows. 

Chart: On the right hand side the numbers are for different rows.

Codes used: knit 3 stitches together

=knit 3 stitches together

 0 = yarn over to make a hole ( h in written pattern)

= knit

= purl

 


1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

10

11

12

13

 

 

.

-

-

 

 

 

0

0

 

 

 

-

-

.

7

.

-

-

 

 

0

 

 

0

 

 

-

-

.

5

.

-

-

 

0

 

 

 

 

0

 

-

-

.

3

.

-

-

0

 

 

 

 

 

 

0

-

-

.

1

 

 After 8 pattern repeats ( so 8 x14rows) you need to decrease for the ribbed bodice as follows: 

Decrease row:edge stitch (*P2, K1, K2 tog, P2 tog, P2 tog, K2** P2) edge stitch.  Repeat from * to **. You should have 68 stitches. Now continue in edge stitch, K2 P2 rib edge stitch for 13 inches or 33cm. End in a purl row. You should now have a nice even transition from the lace into the ribbing.

1) Shape LEFT SIDE : Note do all c/o stitches in knit regardless of if on a knit or purl stitch so they look good from Right Side afterwards: cast off 4 stitches, Rib to end, edge st.

2) Next row: Cast off 4 stithces  rib to end, edge st.

3) Next row: Slip one stitch knitwise, K1, K2 stithces tog, rib to last 4 stitches then Knit 2 stitches together, K1, edge st.

4)  Next row: Slip one stitch knitwise, K1, K2 stithces tog, rib to last 4 stitches then Knit 2 stitches together, K1, edge st.You should now have 58 stitches.

Repeat 3 and 4  once more.

5) Decrease: Slip one stitch knitwise, K1, K2 stithces tog, Rib 17 Cast off central 6 stitches. Knit until last 3 stitches then K2 tog Knit 1.

You should have 18 stitches left on Left side. Ignore right hand side.

6) Decreases: Slip 1 knitwise, k1, K2 tog, k to last 3 stitches, k2tog, k1.

7) Next row: slip 1st then rib to end of row.

Repeat 6 and 7 6 times more until 6 stitches remain and they are all now knit with no ribbing. So you are now just doing knit on RS and purl on WS for straps. 

8) Slip 1knitwise, k1, k2 tog, twice, k to last stictch. 5 stitches.

9) Slip one purlwise, p1, p2 tog, p to last st p to last st. 4 stitches,

10) K2st tog twice = 2 stitches

11)  p2

12) K2

 Repeat 11 and 12 onwards until your straps are long enough for you so about 4-6 inches. Knit 2 tog and then pul wool through last stitch to cast off.

Right side: Turn work so wrong side of fabric is facing. Rejoin the yarn to RHS of the stitches on needle. 

13) Slip 1 knitwise, k1, k2tog, rib to end, edge stitch.

14) Slip 1, K1, k2 tog, rib until last 3 stithces, k2 tog, k1

15) Slip 1 rib to end of row.

16) Repeat 14 and 15 6 more times. 

17) Repeat 8 to 12.

Make the front exactly as back. Sew up side seams matching the notches made by the edge stitches. Sew the straps together very carefully and weave in end of yarn so its hidden.

Congratulations on your new knitted dress.

 

 I am happy enough with how this turned out for a first attempt. Its very cozy and since its turned cold here thats great but I think perhaps next time I will have a bit more shaping at the waist. But its ok for a first version and I will be wearing this lot over the rest of the spring on colder days anyway.

Its comfy, cuddly and cozy but does need an underlayer else I find the yarn a bit itchy. Normally I use mohair y gold top underneath though this is really good. for outer wear not next to my skin. Might have to use a more acrylic or cotton type for my next version. With my gold top under it though its great. And if you do find any errors in the above pattern please let me know so I can correct. I have only made it once so until I check by reknitting I will not know.

This post was begun back in April but took me ages to write, so its now May. Happy Me Made May to everyone! #MMM22

Thanks for popping by my blog, I will be attempting to post daily over the rest of this month so do pop back won't you and if you are taking part in #MMM22 please do leave me a comment so I can pop over and see what you are doing.

Until tomorrow:

Bracken

1 comment: